startAbout UsFor ConsumersFor FoodserviceFor Educators

Frequently Asked Questions

Search Knowlege Base


Home | Category: General Food Safety

General Food Safety

What do I need to do to sell food to the public?

Rating: 60

If a consumer wants to prepare foods at home to sell to the public either out of their home, at a farmer's market or bake sale, they must contact the following people to determine what they need to do to comply with the law. Any processed/canned products. Basically the person must comply with all the rules and regulations that a food manufacturer does. Just because they will be a small operation does not exempt them from the same food safety measures. Contact the Food and Drug Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture in Raleigh, North Carolina. Phone 919.733.7366 and ask to speak with Larry Gabriel or Bruce Williams. Baked goods. If a person advertises a baked goods business, they are subject to regulation by the local Health Department. Contact them for food safety guidelines. Supper and Bake Sales. Short term events hosted by an organization like civic groups, schools, and churches are not subject to regulation if the organization has them no more frequently than two consecutive days every three months. A food stand operated for two weeks or less shall comply with the rules but shall not be subject to grading. Complete rules are found in your notebook, A Business of Your Own. REMEMBER: The person/organization is liable if unsafe products are sold.

PREPARED BY: Angela M. Fraser, Ph.D., Associate Professor/Food Safety Specialist, and Carolyn J. Lackey, Ph.D., R.D., L.D.N., Professor/Food and Nutrition Specialist, North Carolina State University (August 2004)

Not UsefulVery Useful