Frequently Asked Questions
Search Knowlege Base
Foods -- General
How do you prevent a soggy piecrust?
There isn't a foolproof method to prevent soggy piecrusts especially with fruit and custard pie filling. Here are some suggestions:
- Reduce the amount of water when making the dough to make a slightly dryer crust.
- After the dough is in the pie plate, chill thoroughly before adding the filling.
- Warm the pie filling slightly before pouring into the crust so it will thicken faster when cooked.
- Bake pie immediately after filling.
- Coat the crust with melted butter before filling.
- Bake pie at hot oven temperature (450 degrees F.) for the first 15 minutes of baking.
An unbaked crumb crust should be chilled before filling. A baked crumb crust should not be allowed to cool before filling.