Frequently Asked Questions
Search Knowlege Base
Home | Category: Canning -- Fruits
Canning -- Fruits
Why did canned pears turn dark at the top even though they were
under the syrup?
Darkening is caused by the following:
* Exposure to air -- remove air bubbles before sealing jars, use recommended headspace; cover product with water or syrup.
* Food not processed long enough to destroy enzymes - process recommended length of time.
* Contact with minerals such as iron, zinc, or copper in cooking utensils or water - use selected cooking utensils and soft water.
* Exposure to light -- store processed product in a dark location.
* Immature or overmature products -- select fruits and vegetables at optimum stage or maturity.
* Molding of the product -- process by recommended method and for recommended length of time.
PREPARED BY: Angela M. Fraser, Ph.D., Associate Professor/Food Safety Specialist, NC State University in July 2004